Announcing a Sherlockian art contest. We are looking for entries for
The Sherlock Holmes Society of London Christmas Card competition.
Entries due by May 15.
Each year for nearly seventy years the society has put out a Christmas Card. As we have done often in the past, we are looking for a creative design for the 2023 card.
Prior examples are here:
Any artist is eligible, you need not be a member of the SHSL. Here’s what you need to know to prepare your entry:
We are looking for art that is:
- POLISHED: Seeking professional-looking art in colour or black and white
- FESTIVE: Must feature a distinctly Christmas theme in some way – tree, holly, Santa, carollers, London at Christmas, gifts, ornaments…or similar…
- HOLMES! Must feature Sherlock Holmes. May also feature Watson.
- STYLE: Any style will be considered – modern, traditional, impressionist, realist, cartoon, somewhat abstract, etc. — if it meets the above criteria….
- ANY MEDIUM:original may be in any medium – watercolor, collage, oil, cutouts, coloured pencil, pen and ink, etc.
- SPECS: Size: A6 — 105 × 148 millimeters or 4.13 × 5.83 inches – either horizontal or vertical aspects are acceptable. Must be 300 DPI
Any questions, direct them to Bonnie MacBird — firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries to be received by May 15 via email to Bonnie
WINNER will be decided in a blind vote by members of the Sherlock Holmes Society council (they will not know the names of the artists).
The winning artist will receive free membership in the society for a full year following their win, a SHSL pin, and a certificate.
The winner retains ownership of their original design, we require only that you not sell reproductions of this design on anything including cards or other merchandise in the Christmas season of 2023 so as not to compete with the Society’s release of the winning card in that season.
Mail your entries to and direct any questions to contest organizer Bonnie MacBird email@example.com