Holmes in The City – “More by Good luck than by Good Guidance”?
May 27 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
The Square Mile, otherwise known as The City of London, is a treasure trove of ancient and modern, with a surprising amount that Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson would still recognise. This walk will visit a variety of locations both obvious and obscure including the following: where Holmes met Athelney Jones “on the right track” and Cadogan West fell on the wrong one; where Hugh Boone begged and Hosmer Angel lied; where Van Seddar waited and Straubenzee crafted; and where Basil Rathbone laboured and Arthur Conan Doyle investigated. We also cross the path of Professor Challenger and his colleagues, and for those with a taste for the activities of Holmes’s contemporaries we briefly follow the footsteps of Martin Hewitt, the tyre marks of Romney Pringle and the knotted strings of the Old Man In The Corner.
Meet at Tower Hill Underground Station, by the Tower Hill Tram Coffee Stall which is outside the upper exit from the station at 11.00am.
The cost per person will be £11 / $16.50
- Meet at 11.00am by the Tower Hill Tram Coffee Stall
- Charge – £11.00 / US$16.50 per person
- Please note numbers on the walk are limited to 23
Lunch will be taken at the Centre Page, 29-33 Knightrider Street London EC4V 5BH, from 11.30 am. Knightrider Street is on the right as you walk down Peter’s Hill from St Paul’s towards the Millennium Bridge; the pub is on the corner. Drinks will be available on a cash basis. There is a choice of main course:
- Lamb Shank with Mash Potato & Veg
- Roast Beef or Chicken with seasonal Veg & Potatoes
- Traditional Fish, Chips & Peas
- Vegetarian Curry
Dessert is Apple pie & Ice cream/cream and after lunch tea or coffee are included in the price. The cost will be £18.00 / $27 per head. Choices must be notified in advance on the application form below.
- Meet at the Centre Page EC4V 5BH at 12.30pm
- Charge – £18.00/US$27.00 per person
- Members may book the walk and lunch, or just the walk, or just the lunch.